Are you planning an epidural or considering the option of an epidural for your upcoming birth? Do you wonder if a childbirth class is for you?
Maybe you feel:
- others in the class may judge you and your choices
- you don't need to have all the fancy comfort measures down
- aren't interested in learning natural alternatives to pain medication
- only want the basics of birth
- concerned about hearing "scare tactics" of epidurals in class
There are classes out there for those families that wish for any reason that medication is part of their birth plan without trying to change your mind.
As you are reading childbirth class descriptions, understand the terminology used by teachers. Classes with "natural childbirth" may have more information for those wishing to birth without medication which is what some teachers/families call "natural childbirth". Some child birth professionals (educators and doulas) define it to mean that no unnatural substances will be used (medication included). Classes with "informed decision making" may be heavy into information. Some of these classes may believe you must hear all the information on a topic to make an informed decision about what is right for you and your baby. While some people love every bit of information possible other people feel it is overwhelming and makes laboring have a right and wrong way.
Some classes with these descriptions may make it seem that your doctor is against you.
A supportive, nonjudgemental childbirth education class will cover topics including:
- The basics of labor and birth
- How to decide when to leave for the birth place
- What to pack in your birth bag
- How to best work with your care team
- Positions and comfort measures both before and after medication
- Information on medication delivered in a nonjudgemental manner
- What to expect at the hospital
- How to make the best decisions for your birth when presented with options from your care provider.
All in all, read class descriptions carefully. Ask teachers for more information to pick a class that is suitable for you and your birth plan.
Interested in discussing childbirth education options offered at Birth: Before and After? Contact us today.